Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Somewhere Over the Rainbows


Last night, around 9 pm, we finally arrived in American Samoa (note: that’s 4am in Boston). However, with an entire Boeing 737-300 to unload, only four lines for Customs, one baggage carousel, and an extra baggage check before exiting, it took over an hour to get out of the airport. Despite the hassle, it was all worth it when we discovered a group of students waiting outside the airport holding a “Welcome World Teachers” banner. As worried and frustrated as I am about being away from home, seeing those kids really reminded me why I am here. It’s not about me. I mean, not completely about me. I’m here for those kids. To help them in whatever capacity I can.
                From the airport, we took two buses (One for just our luggage. Hey, we’re here for a year!) to Nu’uuli Vocational Technical High School where we will be staying for the next 3 weeks. While the accommodations at the school weren’t quite what I was expecting, they certainly could be worse. We are split up by gender (one room for the 8 boys, three rooms for the 22 girls) and everyone has their own foam mattress. The bathrooms…”work”. That’s all I will say on that. The really cool thing about the school is that it is an outdoor campus so every room is connected by an outdoor hall way. Reminds me of a motel. A really cheap motel.
Since we got in so late last night, there wasn’t really much time to explore. We met our Field Director, Veronica, washed up for bed and passed out. Unfortunately, because of the time change, I couldn’t sleep for very long. As much as I hate not getting a full nights rest, when I woke up at 6:30 this morning, the view was breathtaking. The sun hadn’t quite risen yet but there was enough light to see what I hadn’t been able to the night before. On one side of me were mountains completely covered by the canopy and partially blocked by low clouds. On the other side, was a bay with some of the bluest waves I’ve ever seen. It is really neat because the water itself isn’t much different than anywhere else but, when the waves break, the water is a beautiful turquoise. I’m not quite sure why or how this happens but I certainly plan on finding out.
After taking a wonderfully cold shower and munching on a quick bowl of Cheerios, the group hoped on a bus to Utulei. Now, I know what all of you loyal followers are thinking, “That’s where Dan is going to be living for the year!” And, YES! Yes it is! I was so excited to find out we were going here because it gave me a chance to check out the village ahead of time. I was NOT disappointed. The town is right on Pago Pago Harbor, has plenty of small shops where I’ll be able to pick up most anything I will need, and a really nice park right on the water that’s filled with fales. I am very excited to move in.
While in Utulei, not only did I get a chance to check out Samoana High School but I also met my landlord, Al. He seems extremely friendly and excited that we are there. We talked briefly about his past tenants and how he still keeps in touch with him. I really hope I manage to develop that kind of relationship with some of the people that I’m going to meet over the next year. It’d be so cool to have a Samoan friend. J
Along with the house where myself and two other volunteers will live, Al and his wife also own a local seafood and BBQ chicken restaurant. Since it might, honestly, be the cheapest place I’ve ever seen, the majority of us volunteers had lunch there. No joke, I was able to buy a can of soda, two pieces of BBQ chicken and a boiled banana covered in coconut oil for $3.05. What’s more, it was filling and absolutely delicious. If I have to live off $13/day, I know where I’m eating every day. A note on the banana, despite the fact that they taste rather bland (almost like a potato with no butter or salt), many of the Samoans piled them onto their plates.  Maybe there is something about them that I just don’t know, yet.
When we got back to the school, we had a quick overview of the next three weeks. It is going to be very busy; full of meetings and “practicums”. Oh boy! Well, it’s 8:30pm and I am super tired. Hope the following pictures sufficiently entertain…
 Our view of one of the many mountains on the island taken when I woke up at 6:30am
 Double rainbow that appeared after a quick rain shower this morning
 A traditional fale at the park in Utulei
 One of the many buses that takes you from village to village. They come in all different shapes and colors. Most play loud music. The one I road today had a TV and was playing the movie "Killers". Not my first choice of film but the little kids on the bus were loving it.
  A Samoan canoe (va'a). One of the ones in the shed to the left had a Seahawks logo on it. This one had Satan.

4 comments:

  1. You should ride in one of those canoes.

    And for sure find out why the waves look so blue.

    And then tell me. Because I am living vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I actually can ride in one of those canoes. I'd have to join the team which is, apparently, very rigorous training but it is an option.

      As for the waves, the best explanation I've received so far is from Ms. Browne, "The color we see is due to the light reflected from an object/surface so the beautiful turquoise color may be related to the minerals in the water and even the quality of the sand on the beach."

      Sorry that living vicariously through me hasn't been too exciting. It's been awesome for me. I'm just sorry that I haven't been able to share it with you. Hope you're doing well!

      Delete
  2. any explanation on the canoe artwork????? that be scary...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, not a clue. My guess is that it's just for intimidation purposes because it is working... :)

      Delete