Sunday, August 26, 2012

They're Going to the Drop Off? What? Are You Insane?


Saturdays are the best! There is so much to do on this island and so much time on Saturday’s to do it (I’ve been told I’ll eventually get bored here but I just can’t see how. Guess I’ll have to wait and find out). Last night, as my roommates and the Leone volunteers watched the Samoana Sharks football team defeat the Leone Lions 12-7 (GO SHARKS!), we made plans for them to come to Utulei and spend the day.
            After meeting up at the Post Office to pick up our recently arrived packages and letters…
SIDE NOTE: If you want to send me a letter or package, I’d love to hear from you…yes, YOU!
                                    Daniel Feak
                                    PO Box 2596
                                    Pago Pago, AS 96799
Anyways, as I was saying before I so rudely interrupted myself, after we met up at the post office, we ran back to our house to drop off our stuff and prepare for the day.
Our first activity was hiking up to Blunt’s Point. For anyone unaware of the history of American Samoa, during WWII, Pago Pago Harbor (where my village is located) was a major stopping point for the U.S. Pacific fleet. If I’m remembering correctly, quite a few ships were in Pago Pago when Pearl Harbor was hit. After the bombing of Pearl Harbor, four gun batteries (two on each side) were placed in the mountains above the entrance to Pago Pago Harbor. Today, both sites are National Monuments that are accessible via a very quick hike.
            We actually visited Blunt’s Point during our orientation but didn’t realize that the trail continues for another mile or so until my roommate, Beth, explored the rest of it last weekend. It is a very nice hike. Not too difficult at all (Moderate according to our Day Hike guide) that took us right along the mountain ridge. Since the ridge is rather narrow and the mountain is steep on both sides, we had a great view of the surrounding area including our own village. At one point, we couldn’t have been more than a few hundred yards above our house.
Sara Cleaver climbing the steep rocks

Everyone loves a good selfy

The rest of the hiking crew waiting for me to come down
(Left to Right: Sarah Foley, Beth, Josh R, Jill)

After our long hike, we figured, what better way to cool off than go snorkeling in the harbor? Although I’ve been snorkeling in the harbor twice before, this definitely takes the cake for my top snorkel experience (Note: I have not been snorkeling very many times). For the first time since we’ve been here, we decided to swim our past the coral to where there is a huge drop off and, when I say drop off, I mean drop off. It’s not like most places where there is a gradual slop. The ground literally stops! As cool as it was, it was also quite scary. One of these days I might get up the courage to cross it.
As I was marveling at the vast darkness that was the drop-off and preparing to head back to shore, I heard Sarah Cleaver (pictured above) start to shout something that I couldn’t understand. Worried something had gone wrong; I popped my head out of the water, looked in her direction and heard her yell, “Turtle!”  I immediately stuck my head back in the water just in time to watch a sea turtle swim by us, go out over the drop-off and float slowly down. It…was…awesome!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. edit to previous post...

    History/Hike combo: very cool
    Sea turtle sighting: awesome
    Swimming over the drop off: .....scary..... just watch Finding Nemo! you'll get the drift... haha! drift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet if you followed the turtle you could have ridden the East Australian Current down to Sydney!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH. MY. GOSH!! I want to see a sea turtle while snorkeling and go hiking on an island in the middle of the Pacific!! You're life is the best!! You are sooo luckyy!

    ReplyDelete