Thursday, December 13, 2012

Something Wicked This Way Comes

Day One (12/12/12)

I woke up this morning to complete silence. No rain, no wind, not even dogs fighting (happens more than you might think). Despite the rumor that a cyclone was headed our way, all indications pointed to today being a pretty normal day. Even my roommates were dressed and ready for school. I was devastated. I really wanted a day off to catch up on work, watch some TV, read a book, and relax. I guess I should have known better than to believe the high school rumor mill.
            Then, one of the other volunteers posted on Facebook that school was cancelled. I immediately called her. She said they had announced it multiple times on the radio. Next thing I knew, I was getting a call from the field director to make sure I had heard the news and that our house was prepared for whatever was to come. Our entire house was ecstatic. Not about the fact that the island could get ravaged by a storm (Cyclone Evan, to be precise), of course, but even teachers appreciate a day off once in a while for weather related reasons.
            Now, growing up in Massachusetts, I really should know better than to assume that, when the weather man says, “there is a storm threat,” it actually means that there is going to be a storm.  In the past 17 hours, all I have seen is a little bit more than average amount of rain. Other than that, it seemed like just another cloudy day. I even saw a little sunshine this morning.
            As I remarked to one of my neighbors, it was a great day to have off from school. I caught up on some of my television shows, I got a little further in my book, I started grading the last of my students’ work before finals (next week!), I did a few chores around the house, and I got to Skype/iMessage with a few friends back home. Overall, it was a rather productive day.
            Of course, that doesn’t mean we are out of the clear, yet. Apparently, Western Samoa (American Samoa’s independent neighbor to the west) got hit pretty hard today and Cyclone Evan is, in fact, headed our way tonight. Evan will likely not make landfall on Tutuila but we will get a lot of rain and wind. Luckily, we are prepared. School is cancelled for tomorrow and our windows are all boarded up. Assuming the power stays on, I will be sure to update tomorrow. But, if I’m not back in 5 minutes…just wait longer! 
Evan, our house is ready for you...No, the door is not still open.


If you want to keep updated on the storm,

P.S. it is 12:23 am and the rain just started to really pick up. OH BOY!

Day Two (12/13/12)


Well, that was a little bit underwhelming. Early this morning, Cyclone Evan stalled over Western Samoa before turning right around. Western, apparently, is pretty ravaged. We, however, had an absolutely beautiful day. It was sunny and humid with a lite wind and occasional rain. Just another day in American Samoa. (you can check the above link for more detailed information about the storm). The only real damage I could find was to this Christmas tree in Fagatogo square.
I'm about 50% sure it's not suppose to tilt like that
            I would have updated first thing this morning but I was busy enjoying another lovely day off. I did some more chores, went for a run, and wrote my final exams. Yes, I said final exams. With two days off, I have three days of teaching and three half days of administering exams before the semester is officially over. Add two weekends and Christmas Eve (that’s 11 days total) and I will on my way home. I am beyond excited and, in fact, super thankful that we were spared Evan’s wrath. Looking at pictures from Western Samoa, getting hit definitely would have meant an extra day off of work but it also could have really messed with my travel plans. Instead, today’s flight to Hawaii was postponed until tomorrow. Other than that, it looks like things are back to normal. At least, as normal as things get around here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment